Extending the Life of Your Refrigerator
Homeowners tend to spend a good bit of money on their appliances, and the refrigerator is one of the big-ticket items that can be very costly to repair or replace. Naturally, you want to get as much life and usage out of your appliances as you can, so here are some tips for extending the life of your refrigerator and some handy maintenance tips and tricks you can apply today:
- Clean the coils. There are metal coils located on the bottom of the unit that tends to get clogged with dust and dirt and tiny scraps of paper or plastic that don’t make it into the trash can. For many, this is a no-brainer, but it is something that needs to be done every 3-4 months to ensure airflow is maintained and that the unit does not overheat. This simple step has the potential to double the life expectancy of your refrigerator and is one of the great maintenance tips and tricks to know!
- Keep it full but not packed. It makes sense that there is less air that has to be cooled when the refrigerator is full and this means less energy usage. However, it is also not a good idea to cram it so full of stuff that air cannot flow through freely inside. Maintaining a good fullness in your refrigerator helps with extending the life of your unit by ensuring it’s not working harder than it has to.
- Be mindful of the vents. Another way to ensure good cool airflow in your unit is to check the vents. There are vents inside most units that need to be kept clear. Move any items around so they are not blocking these vents n order to give them adequate space and ensure good air flow. Of the maintenance tips and tricks that we share with our clients, this is the one most homeowners are not aware of!
- Clean and inspect the seals. Obviously, the best seal is needed to keep cold air inside where it can do its job. A seal needs to be clean and undamaged in order to do its job effectively. Simple water with mild detergent can be used to clean the seals. To test if your seals are in good shape or if they need to be replaced, simply put a piece of paper in the seal and close the door- if it falls out, then it’s time to replace the seals.
- Organize the refrigerator. Another often overlooked but easy care tip is to keep thing organized. Have a layout and know where you keep things- drinks in the door, meat in the drawer, eggs on the top shelf, etc. This helps you find things faster so you are not standing with the door open for ten minutes looking for something and wasting energy and cool air!
If you need help with your home appliances or want more tips and ideas for extending the life of your refrigerator or your other appliances, give us a call! We have years of experience and would love to put them to work for you. Call us at 813-961-1188 if you have questions, or visit our FAQ Page or contact us online to learn more about maintenance tips and tricks for all of your home appliances.